Wednesday 14 October 2009

Linking words

LINKING WORDS (1)

Positive addition
  • both... and...+ plural agreement. E.g.: “Both Mikel and George like football.”
  • not only... but also. E.g.: “Not only is Michael a nice guy, but also very hardworking.”
  • Too. E.g.: “It is very expensive, but very good quality too.”
  • As well. E.g.: “As well as hardworking, Michael is very nice. Michael is very nice and very hardworking as well.”
  • Moreover (formal). E.g.: “The cellar was dark. Moreover, mice nested there.”
  • Furthermore (formal). E.g.: “computer games are getting cheaper. Furthermore, their quality is improving.”
  • In addition to (very formal). E.g.: “In addition to directing the play, she designed most of the scenery.”
Negative addition
  • Neither... nor. E.g.: “This opinion is neither right nor fair.”
  • Neither. E.g..: “Just as you would not complain, neither should he”
  • Either. E.g.: “He isn't stupid, but he isn't a genius either.”
Contrast
  • Not... but... E.g.: “He is not Spanish, but Mexican.”
  • Although. E.g..: “Although I have been to France several times, I cannot claim I know the country very well”.
  • Though. E.g..: “Though I have been to France several times, I cannot claim I know the country very well” or “I have been to France several times, I cannot claim I know the country very well, though.”
  • While. E.g.: “while the grandparents love the children, they are strict with them.”
  • Whereas. E.g.: “I like fish, whereas my mother loves meat.”
  • Despite. E.g.: “Despite being a foreigner, he has adapted very well to our culture.”
  • In spite of. E.g.: “In spite of being a foreigner, he has adapted very well to our culture.”
  • Even though. E.g.: “Even though he is a foreigner, he has adapted very well to our culture.”
  • However. E.g.: “He is a foreigner. However, he has adapted very well to our culture.”
  • In contrast. E.g.: “Engineering is a very difficult subject. In contrast, few students have problems with physical education.
  • Yet. E.g.: “I usually find you very reasonable, yet this time I cannot understand you.”
NOTE: E.g. = Exempli gratia (for example)

No comments:

Post a Comment